From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Missing libtermcap.a
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 17:33:01
1 On 2016-07-09, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've got termcap-compat installed, but I seem to be missing libtermcap.a:
3 >
4 > $ equery files libtermcap-compat | grep lib
5 > /usr/lib
6 > /usr/lib/debug
7 > /usr/lib/debug/usr
8 > /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib64
9 > /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib64/libtermcap.so.2.0.8.debug
10 > /usr/lib64
11 > /usr/lib64/libtermcap.so.2
12 > /usr/lib64/libtermcap.so.2.0.8
13 > /usr/share/doc/libtermcap-compat-2.0.8-r3
14 > /usr/share/doc/libtermcap-compat-2.0.8-r3/ChangeLog.bz2
15 > /usr/share/doc/libtermcap-compat-2.0.8-r3/README.bz2
16 >
17 > The ebuild for libtermcap-compat doesn't seem to pay attention to any
18 > USE flags. How do I get libtermcap.a installed?
19
20 Even though the build fails with the message "can't find termcap
21 library", digging deeper I find that the auto-configure script
22 couldn't find a static library that contained the symbol tgetent.
23 That failure triggers the message "can't find the termcap library".
24
25 However, I suspect the problem is that ncurses isn't installing static
26 libraries (and there _is_ a USE flag for that). I've reinstalled
27 ncurses with static libs enabled, so now there is a libncurses.a that
28 provides tgetent. Hopefully ncurses is what the auto conifgure script
29 refers to as "the termcap libary". [One is hopefully forgiven for
30 thinking it meant libtermcap...]
33 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I want you to MEMORIZE
34 at the collected poems of
35 gmail.com EDNA ST VINCENT MILLAY
36 ... BACKWARDS!!