From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 or kernel config - unable to properly boot [SOLVED]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:52:42
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 >
3 > While trying to learn about dracut, I found a detail that made me look
4 > closer to the genkernel generated initramfs, and I found that the error
5 > message was perfectly clear: there was no /dev/sda5, where my "real_root"
6 > is, that initramfs has just /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda4 .
7 >
8 > I think it must be a limitation on genkernel part, although I was unable to
9 > find anything related to this issue up to now.
10
11 It appears as if genkernel can only boot off real, not extended
12 partitions.
13
14 > So now I have rearranged the partitions, using just the first ones. Now I
15 > got a stuck splash image, no initialization shown, no progress bar
16 > moving... but this is another problem, probably I forgot to change
17 > something to reflect the new partitioning scheme.
18
19 It could be a tty problem. If I use genkernel unchanged I get a weird
20 splash screen and the boot dialog writes all over my splash screen. What
21 I have to do evey time an emerge updates my genkernel is:
22
23 edit my /usr/share/genkernel/defaults/linuxrc file
24
25 search for CONSOLE in this file and find:
26
27 # exec >${CONSOLE} <${CONSOLE} 2>&1
28
29 Just remove the hash at the start of the line, rebuild my initramfs
30 and it is ready to go.
33 Regards,
34 Gregory.