From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apache server setup
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:44:05
1 On Tuesday 26 June 2012 09:07:14 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 06/25/2012 07:36 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I think (hope) I've found it:
4 > > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Apache2/Virtual_Hosts
5 > > makes it clear that a subdomain's definition must /precede/ the
6 > > domain's definition. I was doing it the other way around, it
7 > > seeming obviously logical to me: define the whole first, then
8 > > refine the parts. I didn't even consider the alternative. On the
9 > > other hand this is vhost definition; is the reasoning the same?
10 >
11 > It is extraordinarily late here, but I don't think that remedy #2
12 > makes sense.
13
14 Nor to me.
15
16 ---->8
17
18 > The fact that one hostname may be a subdomain of another should be
19 > irrelevant, but ask me again in the morning... In any case, your
20 > current configuration has to be pretty close to working -- you just
21 > need to figure out why "Options Includes" isn't kicking in.
22
23 In the figuring-out process I'm revisiting the whole idea from the
24 beginning. I've removed PHP, MySQL and Apache from the server box,
25 removed the /var/www tree then reinstalled. I haven't yet started
26 reconfiguration; I want to be sure I know what I'm doing first. (Fat
27 chance of that!)
28
29 One decision that will have consequences is where in /var/www to put
30 mysite. Should it be in /var/www/mysite/htdocs, in
31 /var/www/localhost/mysite or in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mysite? What
32 I've read so far suggests that it doesn't matter, but I'm damn sure if I
33 put it in the wrong place I'll suffer for it. And what ownership should
34 mysite's files have? My user is in the apache group on the server.
35
36 Many thanks for your help.
39 Rgds
40 Peter