From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GRUB isn't working on SSD
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 19:11:52
1 On 29/06/2014 18:02, João Matos wrote:
5 > 2014-06-29 10:48 GMT-03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
6 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>>:
7 >
8 > On 29/06/2014 14:17, João Matos wrote:
9 > >
10 > > Dear list,
11 > >
12 > > After finishing the configuration, my gentoo was working very
13 > well. So,
14 > > the last step was to create a stage4, and replace my old hd.
15 > >
16 > > I did it, installed grub lecacy in chroot. No error reported
17 > during the
18 > > installation. My /boot isn't a separated partition, and my root fs is
19 > > ext4, just like before. Everything is the same but the ssd.
20 > >
21 > > I tried the grub2, but I had the same result. I don't think grub
22 > is the
23 > > problem, and I don't see need to change it, since I have just
24 > gentoo on
25 > > my machine.
26 > >
27 > > what do you say?
30 > does grub find your ssd device at all?
31 >
32 > yes. In fact the grub is working pretty well. But nothing is showed.
33 > Just black screen. but my system is booting, even I cant see the menu.
36 Ah, you have a screen problem. Shouldn't be too hard to track down as
37 the only thing grub has available is what the bios provides.
38
39 My first step would be to double check your video settings in the bios,
40 then check if you have configured grub to run quiet.
41
42 I know my Ubuntu machines are all blank between post and kernel init
43 because Ubuntu sets it up that way for the "benefit" of the millions of
44 idiots running ubuntu. I can get a grub screen my pressing esc (or maybe
45 it is enter), this might be your trouble
49 > You can find it in the grub shell using tab completion, it is
50 > (hd<something>)
51 >
52 > If you have the old and new drives now installed, grub's idea of device
53 > numbers may have changed
56 > --
57 > Alan McKinnon
58 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>