From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: Email encodings (was Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros )
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:14:40
1 On 03/18/2013 04:38 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
2 >>> Wait, K9 Mail doesn't have a plain text option?
3 >>>
4 >>> Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, as I am also unable to comprehend why K9 might enforce top-posting on replies.
5 >>
6 >> K9 Mail can do both plain text and bottom posting.
7 >> Both set in Account settings/Sending mail.
8 >
9 > It can write but forces html onto users, which potentially includes jpg
10 > exploits, png exploits, html exploits, script exploits, font exploits...
11 >
12 > And before you say anything. For what benefit, annoying ads from
13 > paypal. I am quite capable of opening a browser and deciding which
14 > domains *I* trust??
15 >
16 > Google's network fell into this trap and banned Windows, but did they
17 > fix the real problem or just raise the bar a little (though I expect
18 > they took other unreleased measures that would be more interesting)?
19 >
20 > Would be even worse on Iphones where webkit is forced and so as old as
21 > the rom image. Rom cycle time is a major reason why even on cyanogenmod
22 > I use firefox over the chrome package which is ancient.
23 >
24 > Of course on Apple laptops even, Safari's webkit is sometimes months old
25 > anywhow.
26 >
27 > Having knocked Android, I haven't found the time to try the latest
28 > native email app. I'm not expecting a no html option but I'm pretty
29 > sure it will have some major pluses over k9mail, which was a trade of
30 > good for bad on Gingerbread.
33 I don't know what mail client you use (I suppose I could check your
34 headers), but *every* mail client I've used disables loading remote
35 content by default.
36
37 Further, you're ranting about users being "forced" to send email with
38 HTML, intimating that this means they'll send exploit-laden messages to
39 their recipients. That's patently silly; the people "forced" to send
40 HTML emails aren't going to be sending exploits. That's like suggesting
41 that people forced to drive to work are forced to commit vehicular
42 manslaughter...
43
44 It's the recipient of the email who has the burden of remaining secure,
45 and this is possible largely through simply disabling loading rich media
46 by default. Again, most mail clients disable loading remote media by
47 default, and most I've used support disabling packaged media as well.