From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [bit OT] 32 vs. 64 bits
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:58:58
1 On Montag 08 Dezember 2008, pat wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've bought a new laptop with Core 2 Duo processor which is 64 bit. My
5 > question is if applications (see below) compiled and running over 64 bits
6 > are stable enough or if I should compile for 32 bits.
7 >
8 > The applications are:
9 > - Seamoneky/Firefox
10 stable
11
12 > - Java
13 stable for years
14
15 > - Flash
16
17 32bit+nspluginwrapper works very well - crash of flash does not kill browser,
18 64bit is said to be a bit more stable
19
20 > - Audacious
21 don't know
22
23 > - mplayer
24 works as good as 32bit
25
26 > - VirtualBox/VMware
27 virtualbox works well
28
29 > - Qemu
30 qemu sucks - in any version independent from 'bitness'.
31
32 > - Kerberos/OpenLDAP/OpenSSH (for these I think they are stable)
33 they are
34
35 > - X.org/fluxbox
36 really no problems there.
37
38 > - system suspending
39 if there are problems they are independent from 32/64bit.
42 > I have 4GB RAM and I know better is to compile for 64 bits, but for me is
43 > more important stability.
44
45 if stability is more important for you, go 64bit.