From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 16:12:29
1 On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 23:47:35 -0600 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Some may recall me mentioning using LastPass to manage my passwords.
5 > Obviously, it can generate very strong passwords that are different for
6 > each site.  It can also remember them as well which makes things more
7 > secure than using just a few passwords for all sites.  One for things
8 > like financial sites, maybe a less secure one for some site you still
9 > want reasonably secure and a even weaker one for sites you don't care
10 > about hacking, and hackers likely won't either.  I know some people who
11 > do this even today.  Heck, ages ago, I was one of them.  Things change
12 > tho.  Some passwords can be hacked in seconds by a desktop computer,
13 > including my own if I had the software and knowledge to do it.
14 >
15 > The one thing about most all password managers, they have a master
16 > password.  That one password unlocks the rest.  Trick is, having that
17 > one be a good one that is easy to remember, type on a keyboard and be
18 > secure, virtually unhackable but also unforgettable.  I've had what used
19 > to be a strong password for a while.  Thing is, with today's computing
20 > power, it really isn't anymore.  While no one could just guess it, it
21 > could be cracked/hacked I'm sure.  I need to come up with a new one that
22 > meets the requirements I just mentioned.  Strong, easy to remember, easy
23 > to type but won't forget.  I've read that using maiden names, years of
24 > birth or whole dates of birth, actual names, pet's name, words in a
25 > dictionary and a whole list of other things makes it easier, especially
26 > if you post a lot on social media, for hackers to use against you.  I'm
27 > trying to avoid that sort of thing obviously and have a couple ideas but
28 > am curious as to what method others use, without exposing to much detail
29 > since this is public.
30 >
31 > How do you, especially those who admin systems that are always being
32 > hacked at, generate strong passwords that meet the above?  I've googled
33 > and found some ideas but if I use the same method, well, how many others
34 > are using that same method, if you know what I mean.  ;-)  Just looking
35 > for ideas.
36
37 1) Install app-admin/apg.
38 2) apg -a1 -m40