From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 boot problem
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 11:39:11
1 On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 2:58 PM, Magnus Johansson <gentoo@×××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > I've got a fresh Gentoo installation that does not boot. I just end up in
4 > the Grub2 shell.
5 >
6 > However when there if I do 'set root=(md/0)' and 'configfile /grub/grub.cfg'
7 > I do get to the Grub2 menu where Gentoo boots just fine.
8 >
9 > /boot and / are both on mdadm devices.
10 >
11 > I've tried re-running grub-mkconfig and grub-install several times without
12 > luck.
13 >
14 > I've added domdadm to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub.
15 >
16 > Drives sda/sdb use GPT disklabels and have 20M BIOS boot partitions first.
17
18 To which device are you installing grub?
19
20 Check what "core.img" prefix and modules grub-install is using with
21
22 grub-install --debug $your_device 2>&1 | grep grub-mkimage
23
24 [I hit a similar problem with mdadm 6 or 7 years ago and had to create
25 a custom "core.img" to boot normally. You might have to do the same
26 but i would've thought that this problem's been solved. I haven't
27 encountered it since.]