From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 13:07:40
1 Am 04.05.2014 12:49, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
2
3 > I wouldn't use the stripe/mirror support in LVM as I don't think it is used
4 > often and I feel that functionality doesn't belong in LVM.
5 > If you want to move it all into a single layer, I would suggest ZFS instead.
6
7 Oh, yes, I like ZFS and its features and used it in some cases already.
8 But I didn't yet take the step to set up ZFS-root on my work machines.
9
10 >> And then you get into issues with block sizes and stuff, where I always
11 >> wonder why *I* have to type all these parameters ... why doesn't modern
12 >> software just come with this knowledge inside?
13 >>
14 >> .... you know
15 >>
16 >> *sigh* ;-)
17 >
18 > I agree, and I feel that has actually improved over time with modern tools
19 > defaulting to 4k sectors.
20
21 Yes, but it always feels like "I missed something" when you look at the
22 various layers: partitioning at correct sectors, RAIDs with their
23 parameters, creating PVs with PEs aligned ... and then the filesystems.
24 I never get the feeling that I really did it right from the base to the
25 top.
26
27 > Then it should work, provided you have all the required drivers inside your
28 > kernel and not as modules.
29 > I also believe an initramfs is needed when using LABELs for the root-fs.
30
31 Interesting. I don't really care if I have an initramfs or not, as long
32 as things work ... The feature with LABELs is nice for preparing
33 installations in VMs and then move it to physical hardware (eg.
34 /dev/vda1 then becomes /dev/sda1 or /dev/md0 and booting fails).
35
36 > At the moment, I don't see, from a simple user perspective, any real difference
37 > between booting using UEFI and BIOS/MBR.
38
39 UEFI is one thing, GPT partitioning another. Being able to have more
40 than the 4 primary partitions of MBR looks good to me ...
41
42 I will see where my motivation leads to ;-)
43
44 Stefan