From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:33:02
1 On 25/11/14 23:35, Emanuele Rusconi wrote:
2 > On 25 November 2014 at 23:42, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> The point was that it could be changed. […]
4 >>
5 >> […] It's about as on-topic and relevant as WinXP.
6 > No, the point was that sometimes even a small annoyance is plenty
7 > enough to drive people away.
8 Let ma add a "me too"
9 I was quite happy on ubuntu with gnome2 and compiz on the desktop
10 then unity came along with the sidebar that you couldn't move/hide and a
11 semi broken compiz
12 so i moved to bodhi and jeff had really done well to create it but
13 importantly i had my desktop cube back
14 then bodhi 2 with the new version of enlightenment and i lost my compiz cube
15 i could live with the loss of the 3d cube because enlightenment is awesome
16 but then i tried update my system and sadly jeff had slipped with the
17 update of the distro, and because it is esentially ubuntu i thought no
18 bother, here we go.
19 it _sort of_ worked
20 so i tried gnome3 on a live disk and omg even less configurable when
21 that came out without about 100 extra utils that some work for some
22 version and others for another.... yeah i've no time for that
23 so i thought look, i have gentoo on all servers why the big headache
24 with gentoo on the desktop?
25 i already knew loads about X and session management etc but all of this
26 was useless to me, all i needed was gentoo and an enlightenment overlay
27 and i was 90% there
28
29 in short: the power of linux is that mostly data and programs are very
30 separated and it is very easy to jump ship when you lose features. also
31 long term release jumps do not upgrade well. I can tell you more
32 stories of having to "reinstall over the top" every five years and then
33 apt-get install $fromsavedfile
34 > The point was that when you feel that the distro you're using takes a
35 > direction that doesn't fit you, you look for alternatives.
36 > And that's perfectly on-topic.
37 >
38 > What's off-topic is to figure out if the damn buttons could actually
39 > be moved or not.
40 >
41 > -- Emanuele Rusconi
42 >