From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ati-drivers and gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9 hate each other?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:12:20
1 Peter Gaži wrote:
2 > hello,
3 >
4 > i recently upgraded my kernel to gentoo-2.6.9 (from 2.6.8) and the
5 > standard after-kernelinstall procedure of emerging ati-drivers didnt
6 > work with the new kernel. All runs as expected but then glxinfo | grep
7 > direct says direct rendering: No. I was wondering if this is related
8 > to the hotplug/coldplug issue, i emerged coldplug, added to default
9 > runlevel, rebooted, but no success. Anybody solved something similar?
10 > I'm using xfree-4.3.0 and i have radeon9000, for any other relevant
11 > info, just ask. :)
12 >
13 > Thanks for any help or own experiences.
14 >
15 > Peter
18 What driver were you actually using when you re-emerged ati-drivers? I
19 have a Radeon 9800 SE and use a 2.6.10 kernel, but of late I've noticed
20 that this combo fares badly if I don't actually start up with the vesa
21 drivers before re-emerging the ati-drivers (as opposed to starting up
22 with the old version of fglrx, which won't load from modules.autoload.d,
23 but will kinda half run in some weird fashion using MESA if I start X).
24
25 Of course, all is normal after (yet another) reboot, as long as there
26 were no "DRM driver not built" errors during the ati-drivers compile
27 (lately there have in fact been other warning errors, but the module is
28 in fact built and works fairly well).
29
30 Also, what version of the ati-drivers are you using? Most of them are
31 flakey, but some versions are flakier than others.
32
33 HTH,
34 Holly
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list