From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 with standalone PostgreSQL - first impressions
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 09:43:37
1 Some initial impressions after 3 weeks of daily usage:
2
3 1. Sometimes akonadi does not start when I start Kmail. The kmail window is
4 greyed out with the message "The Akonadi personal information management
5 service is not running. This application cannot be used without it." The
6 greyed out area has a button to 'Start' Akonadi in the middle of it. If I
7 click 'Start' Akonadi starts and the Kmail application window is accessible
8 again. During that time the Kmail application has no problem connecting to
9 the mail server and downloading messages, as I can see from the progress bar,
10 but nevertheless Akonadi stops me accessing the application.
11
12 2. As I read, delete, reply, at some point kmail will sync its Gmail Inbox.
13 Although I have purposefully deleted most of my 120k+ messages sync'ing still
14 causes kmail to freeze when trying to display a new message (not yet
15 downloaded), showing a blue window in the preview pane with the message:
16 "Retrieving folder contents. Please wait ..." 20 or more seconds later
17 folder syncing is finished and the content of the message I have selected
18 displays, but I find this disruptive and annoying.[A]
19
20 3. I noticed that sometimes when I delete a message on Gmail, it ends up in
21 the Local Trash/Wastebin folder, not Gmail's. I think that this happens when
22 I delete something *while* the Gmail account is being sync'ed.
23
24 4. When I shutdown kmail and then shutdown the PC, it takes 3 or more minutes
25 to shutdown, instead of a few seconds. This is what the postgres logs show:
26
27 =======================================
28 STATEMENT: BEGIN
29 LOG: received smart shutdown request
30 LOG: autovacuum launcher shutting down
31 LOG: received fast shutdown request
32 LOG: aborting any active transactions
33 FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
34 FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
35 FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
36 [snip ...]
37
38 FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
39 FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
40 LOG: shutting down
41 LOG: database system is shut down
42 LOG: database system was shut down at 2016-01-04 07:33:24 GMT
43 =======================================
44
45 I'm guessing this is caused by akonadi not exiting gracefully, because when I
46 stop akonadi first shutdown is snappy again.
47
48 5. When I create a draft message, save it (on the IMAP server draft folder)
49 and then save it once more, a second draft message is created on the server.
50 The second message has my signature added twice at the bottom of it. If I
51 open to edit and save as draft a message a number of times I end up with
52 multiple messages and multiple signatures (in the last draft). Sending a
53 previously draft message does not clear it out of the draft folder.
54
55 6. Intermittent connectivity because of an unreliable wireless connection does
56 not seem to affect Kmail. When the connection comes back up it will continue
57 where it left off.
58
59 7. Perhaps most importantly I have not yet had a database corruption, lost any
60 messages, or have any major gripes to cause me to regret moving over to
61 Kmail2. My 4G RAM and a 6 year old 1st generation i7 do not seem to be a
62 constraint in running Kmail2. I noticed once/twice postgres and akonadi
63 taking up 40% of CPU time each, but otherwise the PC functioned properly at
64 the time. However, it is worth mentioning that I have disabled the Baloo
65 indexer, without any noticeable adverse effect.
66
67 None of the above bugs/features are show stoppers for me. Given my experience
68 to date I have to say that Kmail2 on a quad core CPU and at least 4G RAM is
69 usable, unless the above bugs/features would annoy you. I have yet to perform
70 a postgres update and should read up on this, because last time I updated a
71 postgresql database was more than 8 years ago - things have changed since.
72
73 Thank you again Joost for your help and advice in getting Kmail2 + postgresql
74 configured. You acted as a trigger for me to move off Kmail1, in the nick of
75 time, because an older P4 box with Kmail1 is now having blockers updating
76 KDEPIM. :-)
79 [A] I still have a large number (c.5000) of unread messages in my Inbox and it
80 is this folder which is causing most delays during sync. I will mark all of
81 them as read or delete what I do not wish to keep soon, to see if this makes
82 any difference in the sync'ing delays I am experiencing.
85 Regards,
86 Mick