From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:50:38
1 >> I checked on it after a few hours and it said "No space left on
2 >> device" and the process had exited.  I rebooted the system without the
3 >> key inserted and unfortunately it came back up to the normal HD so
4 >> nothing has been wiped.  Any idea what I did wrong?
5 >
6 > Does the USB stick still boot? It looks like you wiped the wrong device.
7
8 Bingo, right as usual! Apparently I wiped the USB stick. I ran fdisk
9 and mk2fs -j again (do I want journaling?) and reinstalled Damn Small
10 Linux on the stick. For some reason the laptop tell me "missing
11 operating system" when I try to boot from the stick now. I need to
12 test it on other systems.
13
14 > Incidentally, if you want to use dd, adding bs=4096 speeds it up quite
15 > significantly.
16
17 Thanks, will do:
18