From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to support a package going out of tree
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:27:41
1 On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:13:32PM +0100, Raffaele Belardi wrote
2 > One of my son's favourite games (hedgewars) is going out of tree
3 > due to dependency on deprecated QT4.
4 >
5 > I already have a local overlay with a modified hedgewars ebuild
6 > which adds support for a non-standard USE flag but I suppose this
7 > will not be sufficient to continue using/building the game. Once the
8 > dependencies will go out of tree also there will be little chance
9 > to rebuild the game if necessary, right?.
10
11 If you're looking at long-term, I would suggest installing a separate
12 machine or chroot or VM, which will not be updated. If you keep it long
13 enough, the main system is going to get to the point where either
14 hedgewars doesn't work or your regular apps don't work.
17 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
18 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications