From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] writing man pages (gentoo conventions)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 04:21:55
1 Ok,
2
3 So instead of my spew of ascii information files, I'm now composing
4 'man pages' mostly using txt2man. What I was wondering is what
5 sort of template do folks use to help get the quickly/sporadically written
6 ascii notes into more of a 'preprocessed' form, then conversion to
7 man pages. Most of the codes I've written are on microprocessors and
8 it's ugly C/assembler code and nothing like manpages. I have for decades
9 just 'marked up' (digital) specifications and given back to customers. Now
10 that I'm coding for lots of others to see the codes, I feel embarrassed
11 (not really, but you know gotta act like I am embarrassed.) Actually,
12 I don't give a crap because I always got stuck with the math functions
13 an converting legalese into C_logic .....
14
15 But now, I'm turning over a new leaf.....(really).
18 I jot down notes in ascii files while I code and figure things out.
19 Surely there is a better way for an old vi_hack to get more cleanly
20 organized so these notes are at least in an ugly man page and more
21 presentable to the masses (of critical eyes)?
22
23 Note: I do not want an overburdened semantic here, just a wee bit
24 cleaner and easier ascii_methodology to prepare for others to read ascii
25 notes and such.....
26
27 Formal Man pages are found in /usr/share/man, but for my work would it
28 be best to put the one I create into /usr/local/man or /usr/local/share/man
29 or ???? What do others do?
32 Comment and suggestions are most welcome.
35 (old dog in rehab)
36 James