From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] where to put mount --bind during startup
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:36:11
1 I have had /home/gottlieb a symlink to /local/allan/gottlieb
2 for a while. Now I am having a problem because apache doenn't follow
3 symlinks by default (presumably due to some security concern).
4
5 As a test I did
6
7 rm /home/gottlieb
8 mkdir /home/gottlieb
9 mount --bind /local/allan/gottlieb /home/gottlieb
10
11 and all seems well.
12
13 Two questions.
14
15 1. Are there common gotcha's with mount --bind. That is, will
16 programs that have worked fine with the symlink now fail?
17
18 2. Assuming I want to go with mount --bind, how do I make it happen
19 during startup (I assume the mount is not preserved across
20 reboots). The man pages for fstab doesn't suggest that fstab is
21 the way to go. Do you put the mount in the boot runlevel and if so
22 where?
23
24 thanks,
25 allan