From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel config ata/atapi and scsi
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 03:31:10
1 I remember reading that much of the CDrom et al support now uses
2 the scsi subsystem, but have not remembered enough.
3 I would appreciate answers to the following specific questions.
4
5 I have a dell insprion 6400 laptop. Using lshw I find that the ide
6 interface contains
7
8 ATA disk Hitachi HTS72101 /dev/sda bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
9 * Am I correct in believing that I should configure SCSI disk support?
10 * Does it also require ATA/atapi support?
11
12 DVD writer DVD+-RW TS-L632D /dev/cdrom1 /dev/dvd1 /dev/scd0 /dev/sr0
13 bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
14 * Am I correct in believing that I need scsi CDROM and scsi GENERIC?
15 * Are any other kernel options needed to support the dvd and writing?
16 * Do I need atapi support?
17
18 lshw confirms that I have no scsi controller
19 * Am I correct in believing that I need no scsi low level driver?
20
21 lshw confirms that I have an intel 82801G (ICH7)
22 * Am I correct in believing that I need CONFIG_ATA_PIIX?
23
24 Thanks in advance for the help,
25 allan
26 --