From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is rc.conf no longer used by Gentoo (baselayout-1.12.13)?
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 18:31:36
1 Hi All,
2
3 I got mixed up with the various .fdi files in a previous thread, thinking that
4 this is what killed my X GUI. However, it seems that the problem is most
5 likely related to rc.conf. Has this file been done away with as far as Gentoo
6 is concerned? I say this because I discovered that running dispatch.conf
7 after sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.13 substitutes /etc/rc.conf with an empty file.
8 Mind you, even if the file contains the previous information about XSESSION
9 xdm or slim do not seem to use it now.
10
11 If this is the case, am I right to assume that the files in
12 /etc/X11/Sessions/* are not used anymore and the solution is to set up a local
13 ~/.xinitrc file for launching the desired WM?
14
15 I am muddled up because I have forever it seems used /etc/rc.conf to manage
16 the XSESSION which xdm would pick from /etc/X11/Sessions/* to start different
17 WMs.
18
19 Right now I have copied the contents of /etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox into
20 ~/.xinitrc, added slim's /usr/share/doc/slim-1.3.1-r4/xinitrc.sample.bz2 and
21 that's how I can get fluxbox to come up.
22
23 What is the default Gentoo way these days of bringing up an X session?
24
25 PS. Is there a clever way of killing slim? It seems that /etc/init.d/xdm
26 stop/zap won't kill slim or the X session that it starts. I need to manually
27 run kill -9 to make it give up.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick