From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage is misplaced in /usr
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 12:24:52
1 On 2/5/11, Cedric Sodhi <manday@×××.net> wrote:
2 > There are several reasons why portage, neither the tree nor (especially
3 > not) the distfiles should reside in /usr.
4
5 You should note that the "portage" part is wrong as well. The path
6 should be something like /var/db/gentoo-official-tree or some such to
7 absolve the historical package manager dependence evident in the name.
8 The dependency on a single PM has been gone for a long time now.
9
10 Also, while we're at it, the locally installed packages' directory
11 (/var/db/pkg) isn't too informative as a name, and should also be
12 renamed, e.g., into /var/db/gentoo-installed-pkgs.
13
14 IIRC this or some part of this made it all the way up to the Gentoo
15 Council some years ago as it was related to Some Big & Important
16 Things about next version of PMS and package managers' behaviour.
17
18 I'm too lazy to pick through the Councils' notes and logs and devlist
19 archives to check if my memory serves me right and/or what the
20 resolution was. But some educated guesses could be made on the basis
21 of the fact that the tree still sits at /usr/portage.
22
23 I'm not holding my breath while waiting for these cosmetic changes.
26 Arttu V.