From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 20:28:21
1 On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 2:04 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I don't know of literally any big project except gentoo that still does
4 >> not _require_ a review workflow. Git would be the perfect excuse to
5 >> "make it happen", but that's something people have to agree on.
8 > Gentoo is a release-less distro. First, most projects that aren't
9 > distros aren't really comparable to a linux distro because most
10 > projects represent something unified in design, while distros tend to
11 > be diverse collections. Distros that involve releases naturally
12 > involve review/testing/etc, as there is the concept that the release
13 > should be fairly free of bugs. In Gentoo there is no expectation that
14 > the distro is ever free of bugs - there is just WAY too much churn and
15 > there is never some kind of concept of overall quality.
16 >
17 > The other problem with a reviewer workflow is that most Gentoo devs
18 > don't want to be or deal with reviewers. It is hard enough to get
19 > maintainers to just not block collaboration entirely.
20 >
21 > If you want to do THAT big of a cultural change, you'd probably be
22 > better off just forking the distro, as you'll end up having to ditch
23 > almost all the current devs anyway.
24
25 Hi, just an ordinary 9-years user here. I hope you don't mind my asking.
26
27 Is it really official that most significant people on Gentoo don't like the
28 change from CVS to Git? Has there been a general discussion about it, and
29 what is basically everyone's general argument to it? Just in case attempts
30 to change were already made, what were technically the biggest things that
31 prevented it?
32
33 And I also once thought that having a decentralized Gentoo would be good
34 (yes, even more than just being distributed), but perhaps it would be just
35 too risky to implemented right away in Gentoo. Perhaps having an
36 experimental fork were devs in Gentoo would give support would be nice and
37 consider merging it back later if it's already mature enough.
38
39 Nevertheless I don't think using Git itself is exactly being decentralized,
40 and probably a more flexible and distributed version of the current Gentoo.
41 If it's concerns about reviews that people may or may not want, I think
42 there are still some other good benefits of using Git besides it.
43
44 And I'm one who considered sharing some of the ebuilds I made for myself,
45 but I really dislike personally contacting the developer in charged, or
46 posting over-formal reports in bugzilla.
47
48 Directly giving a pull request to a developer's repository in Github should
49 be easiest and of great convenience. It also gives me the confidence that
50 my report would surely be noticed and noticed right away.
51
52 The ebuilds I shared would also need not to be merged. People can just
53 look at the forks of an official repository and see of those would be a
54 fitting solution for them. I wouldn't need a mentor for it.
55
56 About using Github by the way, I just mentioned it because I prefer it and
57 it would not need to be the official repository. The official repository
58 can still reside in Gentoo's servers but mirrors can be placed in Github
59 for the sake of better collaboration. Of course I'm not suggesting that
60 every mirror needs to have the whole portage tree.
61
62 Cheers,
63 konsolebox