From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Southbridge chip on laptop overheating
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 07:32:56
1 Am Sun, 07 Jun 2015 15:15:14 -0700
2 schrieb Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > Not really Gentoo-related (well except the overheating part - lots of
7 > compiling ;-) )
8 >
9 > I have a very old laptop. It is an LG F1 laptop (circa 2005/2006 I
10 > believe) about nine years old. This has a Core2 1.6GHz chip and 4GB RAM,
11 > even though it only sees 3GB (that should tell you it's pretty old!)
12 >
13 > Anyway, I noticed during my last compile-fest on my laptop (reinstalled,
14 > switched to systemd for testing) that a corner of the laptop is getting
15 > really hot. We are talking a fair bit of heat here, you can't keep it on
16 > your lap when it warms up.
17 >
18 > So I took it apart yesterday, figuring I should re-do the thermal paste.
19 > During this process, I discovered it's the southbridge ICH chip that's
20 > overheating. There's no cooler at all on this chip (the northbridge and
21 > CPU have heat piping), it's a bare chip.
22 >
23 > Now, I suspect there's not much I can do about this given it being a
24 > laptop and I might have to resign myself to the fact that I'm going to
25 > have to buy a laptop later this year/early next year.
26 >
27 > I am curious though, what causes this chip to overheat, and can I do
28 > something about it?
29 >
30 > I'm using lm_sensors, which doesn't provide a temperature for this
31 > particular chip. I've monitored processes and nothing really stands out.
32 > I've even tried disabling plasma, no luck.
33 >
34 > Dan
35
36 With a Fujitsu Lifebook A530 that I lent from the University I had the problem
37 that it can overheat and actually shut down. However, I semi-recently
38 discovered thermald, which has (in its default configuration state)
39 successfully kept it from overheating. It can still get hot where the CPU is
40 (sensors say around 80°C), but never enough to actually overheat and shut down,
41 and with long running emerges, it gets more proactive such that the laptop
42 starts cooling down by 10-20°. Maybe this tool can help further (especially if
43 you configure it explicitly)?
44
45 HTH
46 --
47 Marc Joliet
48 --
49 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
50 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup