From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 09:18:25
1 On Nov 17, 2012 12:16 PM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:54:10PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
4 > >
5 > > I don't remember if Richard is on the -user list or not. I've no doubt
6 > > he'd be happy to have your assistance; you put in a lot of work
7 > > getting mdev to work for your purposes. (Whatever happened with that,
8 > > anyway? Or am I getting the various walts in here mixed up?)
9 >
10 > The Gentoo Wiki pages are at...
11 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
12 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
13 >
14 > I don't think I can claim responsibility for Richard Yao's decision
15 > (along with others) to fork udev. I was one of the more visible
16 > malcontents here on the user list, but there were other factors.
19 ... no matter how much you tried to reduce your role, I'm forever indebted
20 to you for introducing me to an alternative to udev that's much more
21 suitable for a server environment.
22
23 To use MikeMol's phrase: I tip my hat to you.
24
25 That said, honestly even if systemd-udev dies a fiery death, I don't think
26 I'll leave mdev for Gentoo-udev; as with other SysAdmins, I prefer my
27 system an amalgamation of small, specialized components that I can
28 troubleshoot piecemeal, rather than having an überdaemon (mis)handling all
29 stuff for me...
30
31 Rgds,
32 --