From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a gentoo guest on virtualbox?
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 09:51:33
1 On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 15:10, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 01 June 2011 11:52:25 Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 03:35, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > On Tuesday 31 May 2011 21:02:46 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >> > I see.  In my head it is as if we're going against the udev principle of
6 >> > populating required device nodes.  If udev does not start, isn't it time
7 >> > to head for the nearest LiveCD, or must we ensure that every breakage
8 >> > is fixable in single-user mode?
9 >>
10 >> There are cases for each, but I personally prefer going single-user.
11 >> Especially when working on virtualized servers.
12 >
13 > +1
14 > Even though with virtualized servers, using Xen, it's possible to access the
15 > filesystem easily from the host.
18 Well, in my case, the servers ran as VMs on top of VMware in my Cloud
19 Provider's infrastructure...
20
21 No consoling into the hypervisor, understandably. And even worse:
22 Can't attach the virtual hard disk to another live VM.
23
24 Either I have to boot with a LiveCD, or go into single-user. The
25 former took quite some time to boot, so I really prefer the latter.
26
27 Rgds,
28 --
29 Pandu E Poluan