From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Build problems due to invalid libtool arguments
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 14:39:01
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 07:23:27PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote
3 > I notice that you have 'MAKEOPTS="-j4"'. You wouldn't believe how
4 > many problems you can solve by changing to 'MAKEOPTS="-j1"'. Yes, the
5 > build process may take a bit longer, but the final executable runs just
6 > as fast. Change to 'MAKEOPTS="-j1"' and see what happens.
7 >
8 > The concept of parallel jobs is nice in theory, and you can *USUALLY*
9 > get away with it. The problem is that if a job tries to use an
10 > intermediate file before it's fully created, or if the "destructor"
11 > (file deletion) does it's thing before the scratch file has been used,
12 > things get very fouled up. My attitude is that the first time you spend
13 > hours trying to trace down a non-replicatable bug, you will lose more
14 > time than you "save" by speeding up builds with 'MAKEOPTS="-j4"'.
15
16 While I agree poking the MAKEOPTS is a good idea, I'd like to point out
17 my own experience with parallel builds.
18
19 IME, running with emerge "--keep-going", and then running "emerge
20 --resume --keep-going" once or twice *afterward* typically solves any
21 problem I had on my first pass. I suspect unspecified dependencies are
22 usually to blame.