From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 06:36:06
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > This is a option I haven't thought of.  The mv command is a good
4 > thought.  Next time I have a lot of these to do, I'll try it.  It just
5 > may work.  Plus, tab completion would be a nice bonus.
6 >
7 > Thanks.
8 >
9 > Dale
10 >
11 > :-)  :-)
15 Well, I ran into a slight problem.  This isn't much of a problem with
16 Linux but I'm not sure how this would work on windoze tho.  The problem,
17 if it is one, is the file extension.  Let's say I have a mp4 file that
18 is the older original file that I intend to replace.  If the file I
19 intend to put in its place is a .mkv file, mv uses the .mp4 extension
20 because all it cares about is the name of the file, not what it is or
21 its content.  So, I end up with a .mkv file that has a .mp4 extension.
22 It works here on Linux but not sure about windoze and such.
23
24 I looked at the man page and I don't see a way to tell it to retain the
25 extension.  I see something about suffix but I don't think that is
26 related to this.  If I just backspace and change the extension, it
27 basically moves the file and I end up with both the old and new file.  I
28 wish I could write code and create a tool for this.  :/
29
30 Is there a way to work around this problem?  It works great except for
31 losing the file extension.
32
33 Thanks.
34