From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @system
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:17:35
1 On 30/08/2016 12:56, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 30 Aug 2016 12:06:43 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> You should elaborate more and be specific on what you mean by "The
5 >> reason is an intermittent series of apparently unrelated things going
6 >> wrong."
7 >
8 > Here's one then: In KMail (yes, I know*) the folder list contains an item
9 > "trash" (ugh!), but when I come to empty it it's called "Wastebin" (much
10 > better) in the drop-down menu.
11 >
12 > And another: if I move my user account away and create a new one, setting
13 > KDE plasma up from scratch (this is ~amd64), the system-settings panel has
14 > no icons and the single-click-to-open preference is ignored, even though
15 > it's the default and I already have it set anyway. Then, if I revert to the
16 > original home directory, which has followed events through the last six
17 > months, those faults disappear.
18
19 How would @system possibly affect that?
20
21 True, in theory any software can have an influence on any other software
22 and cause breakage; but with those symptoms you ought to be
23 investigating @system last, not first
24
25 Your problems lie within KDE itself, I'd bet hard-earned money on that
29 >> Work the real problem, not an assumed one :-)
30 >
31 > Of course - when I can find it! I'm just trying to ensure that the system is
32 > clean before I go tilting at windmills. Possibly, I'm just seeing the
33 > immaturity of KDE-5. So be it, if so.
34 >
35 > * I've seen references to KMail 5.0.3 already Out There, so I'm sticking
36 > with it in the hope that 5.* will be more solid.
37 >