From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --depclean and fftw
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:37:18
1 On Friday 27 October 2006 13:06, Dale wrote:
2 > I am trying to keep my new install nice and clean, nothing useless
3 > lurking around.  I run emerge -p --depclean world on occasion and I
4 >
5 > finally got this one:
6 > > >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
7 > >
8 > >  sci-libs/fftw
9 > >     selected: 3.0.1-r2
10 > >    protected: none
11 > >      omitted: none
12 [SNIP]
13 >
14 > So I did a little research, to make sure it was really not used by
15 >
16 > anything.  This is what I got:
17 > > root@smoker / # equery depends fftw
18 > > [ Searching for packages depending on fftw... ]
19 > > media-libs/libsamplerate-0.1.2
20 [SNIP]
21 > So it seems libsamplerate needs fftw, and a few things need
22 > libsamplerate.  So if removing fftw breaks libsamplerate then could that
23 > lead to the ones needing libsamplerate breaking to?  Sounds like
24 > dominoes falling to me.
25
26 Sounds like you've disabled the fftw use flag of libsamplerate. --depclean is
27 generally pretty safe when `emerge -DNp world` doesn't want to do anything.
28
29 Better to use `dep -L fftw` from app-portage/udept or `pquery --vdb --revdep
30 sci-libs/fftw` from sys-apps/pkgcore.
33 Bo Andresen