From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mediatomb media server - users & permissions for /media/videoX
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:06:08
1 Hi there,
2
3 I'm in the process of ripping my DVD collection to mp4 and have just
4 installed net-misc/mediatomb. I am EXTREMELY impressed with this
5 service, which has very quickly demonstrated a marvellous ability to
6 stream video to my PS3.
7
8 On my server I have two largish hard-drives which are used for
9 miscellaneous storage - backups, drivers & service packs for my work,
10 customer backups and all these video files which will soon be rapidly
11 increasing in quantity.
12
13 Because of the miscellaneous nature of this data, I have mounted these
14 two disks at /mnt/space and /mnt/morespace Following a discussion a
15 while back I will probably move them to /media/video[123] or /media/
16 spaceX when I get around to reorganising.
17
18 Permissions on these volumes are such that any user on the system (me,
19 hypothetically trusted friends or family in the future) should have
20 full access to all the miscellaneous junk on them. I need to play back
21 videos and delete the old versions when I decide a film needs to be
22 ripped in higher quality.
23
24 I'm a little unclear as to how these permissions have been applied -
25 shouldn't it be based either on the permissions of the mount-point
26 directory, or added as an "-o users,umask=000" in /etc/fstab ?
27
28 $ grep space /etc/fstab
29 LABEL=space /mnt/space xfs noatime 0 3
30 LABEL=MoreSpace /mnt/morespace xfs noatime 0 3
31 $ sudo umount /mnt/morespace/
32 $ ls -lh /mnt/
33 total 0
34 drwxrwx--- 2 root cdrom 72 May 28 2007 dvdrom
35 drwxrwx--- 2 root users 48 Sep 21 23:24 foo
36 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 48 May 19 2007 morespace
37 drwxrwx--- 8 root users 116 Sep 11 11:53 space
38 $ sudo mount -a
39 $ ls -lh /mnt/
40 total 4.0K
41 drwxrwx--- 2 root cdrom 72 May 28 2007 dvdrom
42 drwxrwx--- 2 root users 48 Sep 21 23:24 foo
43 drwxrwx--- 5 root users 4.0K Sep 15 20:46 morespace
44 drwxrwx--- 8 root users 116 Sep 11 11:53 space
45 $
48 Anyway, the problem that I encountered was that Mediatomb was unable
49 to read these drives because Gentoo init.d script (very sensibly, IMO)
50 runs the server as its own user, which clearly did not have permission
51 to read these disks. I like this idea, because I tend to trust the
52 users on my system (this may be foolish!) yet fear a hijacked daemon
53 maliciously deleting my collection of Carry On films.
54
55 You can see here how I've worked around the problem for the moment:
56
57 $ grep -ie user -ie group /etc/conf.d/mediatomb
58 # Run MediaTomb as this user.
59 MEDIATOMB_USER="mediatomb"
60 # Run MediaTomb as this group.
61 #MEDIATOMB_GROUP="mediatomb"
62 MEDIATOMB_GROUP="users"
63 $
64
65 However I'm posting to solicit suggestions on the best permissions
66 practices for this purpose. mediatomb shouldn't need write access to
67 these files or folders at all - there's no option on the UPnP client,
68 for instance, to delete files from the server. Should I make the
69 drives owned by "users" and in the "mediatomb" group, with read-only
70 access for the latter? Any other suggestions?
71
72 Stroller.