From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Implicit udev dependancy in Gentoo? and workaround.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 03:22:34
1 I'm asking questions here before filing a bug/reature-request, to make
2 sure I have my ducks in a row. I did a big update a couple of days ago.
3 As per the user in... http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7168984.html
4 I too ran into a situation where I couldn't open any xterms because
5 /dev/pts was empty. The solution for that user came in 2 parts...
6
7 1) Add the following line to /etc/fstab
8 devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
9
10 2) Run "rc-update add udev-mount sysinit" oops... what udev-mount? I'm
11 the troublemaker/malcontent who runs mdev instead of udev.
12
13 I noticed that the temporary solution would be to manually execute
14 "mount devpts". The problem was that it would only last till the next
15 reboot, after which the mount needed to be issued again. I got around
16 that by putting "mount devpts" in /etc/local.d/000.start (which file
17 must be executable). It is executed every bootup, solving the problem.
18 My questions...
19
20 1) Is this just my system, or has anybody else with mdev run into it?
21 If others have the same problem, I'll update the mdev wiki page to
22 mention this.
23
24 2) Can someone who uses udev have a look at their "udev-mount" script
25 and see if it does any other stuff besides mounting devpts?
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications