From: Phil Sexton <philsexton@×××××××.Net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound and video card variables
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:50:22
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > Is there some document somewhere that led you to these settings? If
4 > so, we need to get that fixed...
5
6 No, haven't seen it mentioned in the docs. I have been following some
7 of the threads and something similar was mentioned a while back.
8
9 If those stanzas are mentioned, in which doc is it?
10
11 > For the video (notice the S in CARDS):
12 > VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia vesa"
13 > (leave out the nvidia if you don't want to mess with proprietary drivers)
14
15 I want to try some games, so I am using your suggestion, including the
16 proprietary drivers.
17
18 > For sound, SOUND_CARD is not a valid option. You can set ALSA_CARDS
19 > to have alsa-drivers only build specific drivers, but that is
20 > optional, and only applies to the alsa-drivers package. If you use
21 > the sound drivers from the kernel, this has no effect. The correct
22 > setting for ALSA_CARDS would probably be:
23 >
24 > ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1"
25 Thanks!.
26
27 BTW, I am trying to build myself a gaming/audio recording box (which
28 will be slightly more powerful than this one, which I have named
29 tinwhistle). This is my current workstation/playstation/recording
30 station box, running Fedora Core 4, DuMuDi, Gentoo and Windows XP pro
31 multiboot box. So far, so good.
32
33 Is anyone on this list using Ardour on Gentoo yet? I am compiling that now.
34
35 I had to partition my drives 5 times before I got the sizes I needed to
36 compile America's army and I think I finally got it right.
37
38 I may give this box to a friend of mine after I get my new box
39 (uilleann) built. I dread installing Windows XP Pro yet again.
42 Phil Sexton
43 My Home Page: http://fancypiper.info/
44 Free tunes: ftp://fancypiper.info/
45 Naomi's Fancy: http://www.naomisfancy.net/