From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Normal disk speed?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:44:11
1 On Thursday 30 September 2010 17:50:41 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 30.09.2010 18:00, schrieb Peter Humphrey:
3 > > On Thursday 30 September 2010 14:10:42 Florian Philipp wrote:
4 > >> An HDD gets slower when you read the inner tracks. The angular
5 > >> velocity is constant (5400 RPM) while the tangential velocity gets
6 > >> lower with the radius.
7 > >
8 > > Are you telling us that the length of a stored bit is constant? I'd
9 > > have thought it was the time needed to read or write a bit that
10 > > was constant; otherwise the electronics would get extremely
11 > > complex. In that case it's the angular velocity that counts, not
12 > > the linear velocity, and it matters not which track your data are
13 > > on. (If a block goes past the head twice as fast, it also occupies
14 > > twice the space, so you're back where you were.)
15 >
16 > Yes, the length of a block is constant. If the innermost "ring"
17 > (track) contains 4 blocks, the next ring contains maybe 5 blocks.[1]
18 >
19 > Put another way: If you could pack your bits more densely on
20 > innermost tracks, why wouldn't you pack them that densely on the
21 > whole disk and thereby increase the overall capacity?
22 >
23 > > That's the way it was with our imposing new 2MB disks in 1974,
24 > > anyway. They occupied boxes four feet tall and six feet long, and
25 > > had external air systems; I was one of those responsible for the
26 > > maintenance; we were sent on a training course specifically for
27 > > the disks. I can't remember who made them, but they were part of a
28 > > Ferranti Argus 500 system at the then national grid control
29 > > centre.
30 > >
31 > > Maybe technology has changed since then.
32 >
33 > Well, we are talking about devices employing the GMR effect while
34 > also doing error correction and remapping of defect sectors
35 > on-the-fly. I guess a little lookup table from track number to
36 > time-per-block doesn't add too much complexity.
37 >
38 > You can easily test this if you have various partitions on your HDD.
39 > Just compare dd throughput for your first partition versus your last
40 > one.
41
42 Seems like technology has moved on. Well, it has had 35 years or more.
45 Rgds
46 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.