From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:14:01
1 On Friday 31 Jan 2014 19:03:05 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:30:19 +0200 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > It comes from watching what happens at the end of running emerge, don't
4 > > read any more into it than that. Especially not optimism, I think you
5 > > might be projecting your own frustrations.
6 > >
7 > > A couple of years ago I used to have to manually resolve blockers about
8 > > one world update in two. It started becoming a huge PITA especially as
9 > > the deps are usually easy to solve - if I can look at the screen for a
10 > > few seconds and figure it out, then software can do the same in
11 > > milliseconds. Recent portages now do this properly when viewed from a
12 > > results-only perspective.
13 > >
14 > > On my machines, that is what I see happening. That is the ONLY set of
15 > > FACTS I have to work on; you may have more.
16 > >
17 > > I'm willing to give up 4 minutes while emerge runs so I don't have to
18 > > spend many more minutes right afterwards doing manually the very shit
19 > > that software is very good at. Whether portage is a complete pile of
20 > > dogshit software or not is beside the point. Even if it is, my 4 minutes
21 > > still buys me lots <shrug>
22 >
23 > 4 minutes are expendable but... on Atom N270 (my laptop) emerge
24 > -DNuav world takes 40 (yes, forty) minutes to build dependency tree
25 > with sqlite cache enabled and 60 minutes without sqlite. System was
26 > pretty old (not updated aside from GLSA updates for a year). And this
27 > 40 minutes repeated many times since USE flag clashes and dependency
28 > resolution failures. So I spent may day, damn whole day(!) for the
29 > sake to just start compiling (distcc is my friend here).
30
31 Out of interest what fs are you running portage on? I changed an old box from
32 reiserfs to ext4 and couldn't believe the speed up I got.
35 Regards,
36 Mick