From: Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo rebuild, cups won't work WORKAROUND (i.e. mysteriously solved)
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 23:57:21
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 04/02/08 00:19:
2
3 >> I've installed cups and hplip.... I cannot follow the Gentoo
4 >> printing guide, because that worthy document requires me to add
5 >> hplip to the default runlevel, but hplip does not put anything in
6 >> /etc/init.d. My printer is an old HP Laserjet 4M, which I usually
7 >> run as a Postscrpt printer.
8 >> What have I missed?
9
10 > hp-setup stubbornly refuses to acknowledge /dev/lp0
11
12 > I got it to work, but don't really know what was wrong. The drive
13 > that held my root directory and all configs had failed. Friday, i
14 > got it back from the DiskSavers, along with the data on a new USB
15 > external drive. Copying over the cups config files just magically
16 > made the printer work locally.
17
18 > That's enough for now.
19
20 > I'm still struggling with a host of issues, so I'm going to ignore
21 > the fact that I have no idea what keeps my CUPS working.
22
23 > I think I've got cron backing up to that USB drive nightly -- using
24 > rsync it takes about an hour for all partitions, unattended. Beats
25 > the blazes out of hovering over the DVD drive. And i'm pretty sure I
26 > won't end up in the same fix again.
27
28 > But I've still got to get the LPD service going, not to mention
29 > apache, vmware, ntp and gaim/pidgin.
30
31 > And I have a day job.
32
33 > I'll get around to it. Real Soon Now.
34
35 Glad to hear that you're up and running, and thanks for the timely
36 reminder to do a backup! 8-)
37
38 Please check that you have USE=parport enabled for hplip
39
40 The contents of /etc/hp/hplip.conf and the output of:
41 hp-check
42 - and -
43 hp-probe -bpar
44