From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 22:26:30
1 On 15/06/2017 06:26 μμ, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm trying to repair USB disk (64GB) originally formatted with ext4
3 >
4 > I read the USB stick on Windows via some kind of windows ext4 driver now I can not open it on Linux box.
5 >
6 > e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
7 > 64gb: recovering journal
8 >
9 > (just stays there and does nothing).
10 > when I unplug it I get:
11 >
12 > e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to re-open 64gb
13
14 If you don't need the files on the stick (as you mentioned on another
15 post), then I'd recommend formatting it using exfat. Works on both Linux
16 and Windows. Emerge sys-fs/fuse-exfat and mounting exfat sticks will
17 happen automatically, just like as if it was ext4.
18
19 To format the stick you can use sys-fs/exfat-utils (it installs
20 mkfs.exfat.) Or format it under Windows. You probably should erase the
21 partition first under Linux though so that Windows sees all space as
22 unclaimed. Just remember to select exfat instead of fat32 when you
23 format it.