From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge Problems...
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:08:55
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
4 > On Monday 31 January 2011, BRM wrote:
5 > > I just wrote a new script last night, but I'm still not sure that all
6 > > of the parameters are correct
7 >
8 > Why not something proven and reliable like "emerge --sync"?
11 "emerge --sync" works fine for your _normal_ portage tree.
12 But if you are running a mirror on a gentoo system that also needs its own copy
13 of portage, then you really need to have two portage trees on the system.
14 One portage tree is hosted by rsync for all - it can be synch'd at will with the
15 official portage trees.
16 The second portage tree is the system's portage tree, and is only sync'd when
17 you update it - just like any other gentoo system.
18
19 Why?
20
21 I originally ran the server with rsync hosting its portage tree, with daily
22 synchronizations. However, when I forgot and let the server fall behind a little
23 in updates, it became quickly clear that it needed its own separate copy of
24 portage so I can install software without synchronizing portage - or rather,
25 install software without having to update the whole system, etc.
26
27 Now, may be there are options for "emerge --sync" that I'm not aware of to
28 handle just this case - but it works very well, and I ran it for quite a while.
29 Sadly, I did not have that script backed up or anything; so I will have to
30 recreate it again.
31
32 Ben