From: David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] identical drives, different free space!
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 18:35:12
1 On Mon, 17 May 2010 13:50:02 +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
2 [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] identical drives, different free space!:
3
4 >On Mon, 17 May 2010 12:31:17 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
5 >
6 >> >> Well, it turns out I have the distfiles mounted with --bind to my
7 >> >> ftp/pub directory. And looking in the rsync man page:
8 >> >
9 >> >Why not set $DISTDIR to the true location of distfiles instead of
10 >> >using bind mounts?
11 >>
12 >> Because binding the directory to /home/ftp/pub makes the distfiles
13 >> available to the rest of one's network via anonymous ftp. I do the
14 >> same thing here, without the "pub" subdirectory, and
15 >> exclude /home/ftp/ from my backups.
16 >
17 >So the distfiles are actually in /usr/portage/distfiles?
18
19 Correct.
20
21 >I share my distfiles but I don't use FTP as that means storing copies
22 >of the same file on each computer. Instead, I use NFS. /mnt/portage is
23 >shared across all machines on the network and DISTDIR is set
24 >to /mnt/portage/distfiles in each make.conf.
25
26 I used to do that, but it meant my NFS server had to be running to
27 perform any software maintenance on any box, so it became a single point
28 of failure. The FTP approach allows each box to be self-reliant.
29
30 >Sharing /mnt/portage like this means I can also share my overlay across
31 >the network at /mnt/portage/local.
32
33 My boxes have different stuff in their overlays, and one uses no
34 overlay packages at all. Sharing overlays doesn't make much sense for
35 my set-up.
36 --
37 Regards,
38