From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 20:49:48
1 > On 15 March 2013, at 17:32, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
2 > >
3 > > If you use the Gentoo hardened Tinfoil Linux you will need lots of ram
4 > > and wait ages to boot but firefox will just pop up.
5 >
6 > I'm sorry, I don't understand this statement. Could you possibly explain, please?
7
8 It's one of Blueness projects based on Hardened Gentoo. It loads into
9 ram at boot (you need something like 4 gig of ram) which takes ages
10 from dvd but could be from an ssd/hdd (defeating half the point
11 without a ro switch though). It can update from the net once booted too.
12
13 Once done everythings in ram so firefox can literally pop up like a
14 web advert upon execution.
18
19 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
20 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
21 universal interface'
22
23 (Doug McIlroy)