From: Andrew Gaydenko <a@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] suggest not-net-hungry Linux
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:32:28
1 ======= On Saturday 27 September 2008, Dale wrote: =======
2 > Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
3 > > ======= On Saturday 27 September 2008, Anton Kochnev wrote: =======
4 > > ...
5 > >
6 > >> I have been using gentoo two years. And I have dialup connection only.
7 > >> My desktop - KDE. :)
8 > >>
9 > >> The secret is: emerge-delta-webrsync for updating portages and deltup
10 > >> for sources.
11 > >
12 > > That user isn't Gentoo-compatible :-)
13 >
14 > I have dial-up here too and I just sync and download once a week or so.
15 > What's all that delta stuff anyway?
16 >
17 > Dale
18 >
20
21 Saying Gentoo-incompatible I mean that user will be migrated from m$win (I
22 force this migration, but have not opportunity to admin a system often),
23 and she isn't too young to learn new technical things (seventy years old).
24 All these mean, I'm finding a distro with (besides 'net not hungry')
25 simplest and minimal maintaining, though without any tuning capabilities
26 also, which is (one of the main) a reason we use Gentoo.
29 Andrew