From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't get PulseAudio to work
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 09:30:00
1 I decided to test PulseAudio on Gentoo since someone claimed the reason
2 PulseAudio has a "it blows chunks" reputation because of Ubuntu shipping
3 it with a broken configuration.
4
5 So, I did:
6
7 USE="alsa pulseaudio -oss" emerge -auDNl --with-bdeps=y world
8
9 This installed PulseAudio and rebuilt all applications to drop OSS
10 support and use ALSA or Pulse instead.
11
12 I also took a look at this:
13
14 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio
15
16 and did the "usermod -a -G plugdev pulse" thing.
17
18 I rebooted with an ALSA-enabled kernel and with OSSv4 completely
19 removed. But it doesn't work; everything can use ALSA OK, but not PA.
20 For example, "mplayer -ao pulse video.mkv" says:
21
22 socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
23
24 What now?