From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] retext, PyQt, QtPrintSupport, and QObject
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 18:54:34
1 I usually try to avoid Qt apps, but I needed a way to preview markdown
2 text. One option was pandoc, but it needed to install 100+ packages
3 as dependancies. Another option was retext, which only required a few
4 new packages.
5
6 So I installed retext. The install seemed to go fine, but it doesn't run:
7
8 $ retext
9 Traceback (most recent call last):
10 File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/ReText/__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
11 from PyQt5 import QtCore, QtPrintSupport, QtGui, QtWidgets, QtWebKit, QtWebKitWidgets
12 ImportError: cannot import name 'QtPrintSupport'
13
14 During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
15
16 Traceback (most recent call last):
17 File "/usr/lib/python-exec/python3.4/retext", line 23, in <module>
18 from ReText import QtCore, QtWidgets, QtWebKit, datadirs, globalSettings
19 File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/ReText/__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
20 from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui, QtWebKit
21 RuntimeError: the PyQt4.QtCore and PyQt5.QtCore modules both wrap the QObject class
22
23 Two questions:
24
25 1) If retext requires Qt with printing support, shouldn't that be a
26 package dependency? [Does retext require Qt printing support?]
27
28 2) What is the "RuntimeError:" trying to say? Aren't PyQt4 and PyQt5
29 independent from each other? Who cares if they both wrap the same
30 QOobject class (in fact, I would have guessed that the both do a
31 _lot_ of things). [Perhaps this is more of a Python question than
32 a Gentoo question?]
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I just went below the
36 at poverty line!
37 gmail.com