From: Miernik <public@××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:43:50
1 Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@×××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Why? Are you planning on moving?^^
3
4 Because how I like my computer to communicate with me, has nothing to do
5 with the territory on which it is located, the computer moved across
6 different territories, my computers are often on different territories
7 that I am, none of the territories the computer or I are frequently
8 located speak the language I want my computer to communicate in, nor do
9 their standard of dates are how I like then to be - I choose them to be
10 based on reason (dates shown from largest unit to smallest), not on
11 tradition or politics. I feel a world citizen, and don't want to be
12 psychologically tied to any single country, nor my computers, I feel its
13 horribly stupid to configure computers based on territory, its an
14 unneeded breach of privacy in case someone looks over my shoulder as I
15 type "locale" and sees a territory, then he/she would think I might have
16 ties to that territory, like if its the police or something, if I put
17 en_US than someone might think I am an US person, while I am not, and I
18 don't want to spend my time wondering which territory I should put in
19 when installing Linux, US, or GB or whatever, I just want a damn simple
20 international english territory neutral locale with dates in the form
21 YYYY-MM-DD and 24-hour clock time and . as the decimal separator (not ,
22 as it is in the en_DK locale). Is that so difficult to do?
23
24 > But have you tried POSIX.UTF-8?
25 > Because it sounds sensible, and thus could be already implemented.
26
27 Yes, but some errors where encountered:
28
29 przehyba ~ # locale-gen
30 * Generating 2 locales (this might take a while) with 1 jobs
31 * (1/2) Generating POSIX.UTF-8 ...
32 LC_MONETARY: value of field `int_curr_symbol' has wrong length
33 No definition for LC_PAPER category found
34 No definition for LC_NAME category found
35 No definition for LC_ADDRESS category found
36 No definition for LC_TELEPHONE category found
37 No definition for LC_MEASUREMENT category found
38 No definition for LC_IDENTIFICATION category found [ !! ]
39 * (2/2) Generating en_US.UTF-8 ... [ ok ]
40 * Generation complete
41 przehyba ~ #
42
43 Not sure if they are a problem.
44
45 Will try to use that locale and see if I get any problems.
46 However C.UTF-8 doesn't work at all. What's the difference between POSIX
47 and C? Where does the C locale name come from? From the C programming
48 language, or something else?
49
50 >> And ordering of date - what does that have to do with territory and
51 >> language? I don't care what territory has what ordering commonly used -
52 >> I want to have it in form 2008-07-19, is there a way to do it?
53 >
54 > That's just a shortcut, so you don't have to set every setting
55 > explicitly. If you want, just set the respective LC_* variables, for
56 > example LC_TIME for the right time format.
57
58 How can I tell to LC_TIME that I want dates in yyyy-mm-dd format, and
59 24-hour clock time, and if anything wants week or month name, then show
60 it in english? If en_DK locale is invalid for Xlib, and no other
61 english laguage locale has dates in yyyy-mm-dd format?
64 Miernik
65 http://miernik.name/