From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easy dialup for unprivileged user
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:36:27
1 Mark Kirkwood wrote:
2 > I'm looking at setting up a Gentoo box for my mother to use. One thing
3 > I'd like some input on is the business of dialing up.
4 >
5 > The constraints are that she must be able to dial up as an unprivileged
6 > user, and it must be easy (She will be migrating from an old imac
7 > running osx, so I want to make it as painless as possible!)
8 >
9 > I'm currently favoring the method outlined in:
10 >
11 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_Dialup_Connection#The_best_way:_Gentoo.27s_Network_Configuration
14 > specifically using Gentoo's /etc/conf.d/net with pppd configured for
15 > *on-demand* dialing, so it 'just happens' when needed.
16 >
17 > Now it pretty much does - but to trigger the ppp interface 'up' state I
18 > find myself doing stuff like:
19 >
20 > $ ping <ip of ISP nameserver>
21 >
22 > or similar, because hostname access will just return "host not found"
23 > immediately without trying to bring the link up. So while this
24 > workaround is ok for me, I would like to get it so that the ppp
25 > interface comes up more intuitively (or am I missing something
26 > obvious?... that would be nice!).
30 For the archives... this was happening because I had an empty
31 /etc/resolv.conf. I needed to add some (initial) nameservers to make
32 everything work as expected (i.e ping some-internet-hostname brings up
33 the network). Of course once the dialup has happened, ppp can overwrite
34 these nameservers with the ISP's ones...
35
36 My mother is using the machine now, and she likes the way the connect to
37 internet "just happens" when she starts Firefox or Thunderbird... and
38 Gnome's look and feel are not too vastly different from OSX... so the
39 level of confusion is not too high :-). Probably the biggest thing to
40 adjust to is the 3 button mouse - after the single button apple one!
41
42 Cheers
43
44 Mark