From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge Problems...
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:43:25
1 On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 05:48:32 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> If the machine is not fast enough - mine is a PII 233 w/160 MB RAM,
9 >>> takes a while do to updates - then you really have to separate out what
10 >>> you are hosting from what you are using. Otherwise you end up in the
11 >>> situation that you have started one system update (or software
12 >>> install), have a build failure for whatever reason, and then can't
13 >>> complete the same one due to changes in the local copy of portage.
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> You can still use emerge -sync instead of a home brewed script. In make
17 >> conf, set SYNC to localhost, then in your cron job, do
18 >>
19 >> SYNC="some gentoo rsync mirror" emerge --sync
22 >>>
23 >>> So, even if your system fell into the first situation - where it is
24 >>> fast enough
25 >>> - then I would still recommend doing the little extra to run as the
26 >>> second situation. It's just far easier to maintain.
27 >>>
28 >>
29 >> I've been using a single portage tree to serve a LAN and for use by the
30 >> host for years with no hint of any of the problems you suggest. I just
31 >> make sure the cron job on the server syncs earlier than the rest of the
32 >> LAN and everything is up to date.
36 > I used to have four computers a good while back.  Back then, I synced my
37 > main rig then synced the others off it.  This was several years ago.  I
38 > don't use a cron job or anything to do this, just some old fashioned typing.
39 >  I don't recall ever having trouble with it syncing to my main rig.  Did I
40 > mention it was a very old Compaq 200MHz CPU machine with a whopping 128MBs
41 > of ram?  Thing looks like a filing cabinet.
42 >
43 > To me, it seems the OP is making something complicated when it is just not
44 > needed.  If you want to use cron jobs, set the main rig to sync a hour
45 > before the others would be set to sync against it.  If the rig that syncs to
46 > Gentoo servers is to slow, set them two hours apart.  From my understanding,
47 > you get the same tree all the way around.
48 >
49 > Giving some more thought, I once put /usr/portage on nfs.  I sync once and
50 > all the systems used the same copy of the tree.  The other way worked out to
51 > be easier tho.  I seem to recall the need for running emerge --metadata too.
52 >  That took a while on the old Compaq.  lol
53 >
54 > Dale
55 >
56 > :-)  :-)
57
58 The trick I've been using for... a couple years now, across various
59 machines (no cron involved), is syncing one box that shares portage
60 *and* my distfiles on nfs, portage R/O, distfiles R/W, then when it's
61 done syncing and starts its own metadata update, hop across all the
62 others and do an emerge --metadata. Once each one finishes, run
63 through their individual updates. Because distfiles is shared, and
64 portage's distfile locking is done right... I download each tarball of
65 sources exactly once, even when 5-6 machines might share the same one.
66 I've been quite pleased by that... even more handy is the shared git
67 pull of wine that I build against on 3 different boxes (I tend to
68 stagger those rebuilds though, haven't risked finding out if that
69 would clash).
72 Poison [BLX]
73 Joshua M. Murphy