From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev broken...
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 01:07:58
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 > On Saturday 28 November 2009 18:31:04 BRM wrote:
5 <snip>
6 > > I do have sources for linux kernel 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 available, but then I
7 > > need to be able to write to the read-only fs. Guess I could probably do
8 > > that using the kernel command-line, no? (Haven't done that before, so I'm
9 > > not sure what the correct option would be.)
10 > Before these troubles started, did you build a 2.6.30 kernel? If so, you can
11 > just boot it, editing the grub command line at boot time as necessary.
12
13 Unfortunately not. I have been thinking lately that I should upgrade to a new
14 kernel - but I don't get around to it very often. So this is probably a good
15 opportunity to do so.
16
17 > If not, fixing it is quite trivially easy: Get a copy of any recent liveCD or
18 > rescue image that you can boot, and boot into it. It will find your drives
19 > using whatever conventions it uses, and let you mount your gentoo partitions
20 > just like you would do with installs. chroot lets you test stuff and you can
21 > also use the compiler on the rescue disk to build a new kernel and store it in
22 > /boot
23 > Then boot into that new kernel, everything ought to start properly, and
24 > immediately rebuild that kernel using your gentoo system compiler. Along the
25 > way you might have to edit your fstab to use sda devices instead of hda ones.
26
27 Thanks! That seems to be a good plan. I built it earlier, but for some reason
28 grub won't boot it - perhaps b/c I gzip compress the kernel (kernel option)?
29 Not sure. Going to figure it out though.
30
31 Right now, I'm using a vintage 2007 live CD; but chrooting over to the partitions
32 on the hard drive. I don't have network since it won't recognize the firmware
33 needed for my wireless (b43legacy driver). Perhaps I'll try a newer image...
34
35 > btw, this is exactly the reason why user-oriented distros like Ubuntu mount
36 > system partitions using the fs GUID, not the kernel device name. It gets
37 > around this kind of trouble quite elegantly
38
39 May solve some headaches, but it also creates an equal number of others - like identifying
40 the partition that matches the GUID.
41
42 Thanks!
43