From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 07:32:59
1 On Wednesday, 29 April 2020 20:37:23 BST Michael wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 29 April 2020 16:24:31 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3
4 > > Have I to go the PulseAudio route after all?
5 >
6 > You do not *have to*, but if you find the PulseAudio server and associated
7 > GUI/CLI tools are convenient for you, then you can set up USE=pulseaudio and
8 > use that to mix your sound sinks and sources devices with.
9 >
10 > As Canek has already posted in most cases it just works. However, I must
11 > confess I had a spate of pa processes racing up to 100% CPU and annoyingly
12 > respawning each time I tried to kill it. An update eventually fixed this
13 > problem and it worked fine ever since.
14
15 Well, after setting USE=pulseaudio and emerging uaDvN @world, sound has
16 reappeared. I haven't tried multiple sources yet, but - one thing at a time.
17 Web-cam next, in between recommissioning other boxes with my new display-port
18 KVM. I'm getting too old and stiff for this. :(
19
20 [OT] Fully in accordance with Murphy, yesterday's upgrade of ICU had already
21 caused rebuilds of all the big packages (rust, qt-core, llvm, clang,
22 virtualbox, libreoffice, firefox, both web kits ...). What with those, remerging
23 everything took half the day.
24 [/OT]
27 Regards,
28 Peter.