From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tweak nice
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:45:34
1 On Sunday 24 February 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I noticed a very annoying behavior. I've got a headless server
5 > (Athlon 64 X2) which primarily acts as a personal video recorder
6 > using mencoder and at-daemon. In its idle-time it's supposed to run
7 > a dnet-client.
8 >
9 > Then I've got a laptop (64bit Celeron, single core) on which I play
10 > those video files from my server over NFS.
11 >
12 > So far, so good. My problem is: Neither of them can handle
13 > recording/playing video while there is any background activity.
14 > That means I have to stop the dnet-daemon and suspend any emerges
15 > on my laptop. If I don't, both mencoder and mplayer loose sync of
16 > audio and video and drops frames.
17
18 By dnet-daemon you mean dnetc, right? If you run dnetc with nice 19
19 and simultaneously something that uses as much CPU as it can get
20 (like a fractals generator) at nice 0, you will see that dnetc still
21 uses around 6% CPU. But it does go down to 6%. The remaining CPU
22 should be enough for watching video. Disclaimer: I have never used
23 mplayer on a 64bit system. It might have issues there.
24
25 Since you are playing the video over NFS you do so over the network.
26 Maybe a stupid question: You do use FastEthernet without any hub,
27 right? Switches are alright but hubs are evil.
28
29 A possiible work around might be to increase the buffer in mplayer to
30 something around 1MB.
31
32 Uwe
35 Informal Linux Group Namibia: