From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Symlinked directories and rsync
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 04:57:05
1 I've RTFM'd, and it looks like there is no way to get rsync to copy
2 over symlinked directories as symlinks. E.g. I build Pale Moon browser
3 from source for 3 machines at home. I prefer downloading the source
4 once and symlinking to it from 3 different working directories. I also
5 have a personal project where I analyze the same text data files in 3
6 different ways. It makes things so much simpler to use the same code,
7 with different runtime parameters. So I symlink the main data directory
8 to 3 working directories. Even "better" (or worse) I've got a situation
9 where I symlink directories to... other symlinked directories. Yes;
10 symlinks pointing to symlinks work, even for directories.
11
12 Unfortunately, rsync will not create a symlink where appropriate, but
13 will de-reference the symlink, and duplicate multiple gigabytes of data
14 needlessly. I eventually gave up trying, and made a tarball, and pushed
15 it over to my "hot backup" machine, and extracted it there. That works
16 OK for the initial setup, but is painfull for "minor incremental"
17 updates.
18
19 Am I missing something glaringly obvious, or is this a limitation of
20 rsync? If so, is there another tool that can copy over symlinked
21 directories properly?
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications