From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 04:04:22
1 On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 07:24:54PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
4 >>> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >>>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 09:20:42PM -0600, Dale wrote
6 >>>>> Well, it appears we have someone willing to fork udev. Yeppie !!
7 >>>>> Me, I'm looking forward to seeing how this works and giving it a test
8 >>>>> run when it gets ready. Since it is a fork, shouldn't be to long,
9 >>>>> I hope.
10 >>>> BTW, this has hit Slashdot...
11 >>>> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/11/16/2052203/gentoo-developers-fork-udev
12 >>> Be sure to read Richard Yao's response:
13 >>> http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3256499&cid=42006113
14 >> I understand that he's still getting the effort organized. I am not a
15 >> C programmer, but if the effort needs any beta testers, I'm willing to
16 >> volunteer. BTW, it looks like Lennart Poettering is more unpopular than
17 >> Steve Ballmer on Slashdot.
20 > Thing I like about the fork, if people get fed up with udev, udev falls
21 > flat on its face or something else causes udev to fail, we have a udev
22 > already ready. That statement may not be true for another couple months
23 > or so but at least there is a Gentoo plan B.
24 >
25 > Also, I can get rid of dracut too. ;-)
26 >
27 > Walter, I wonder how much your work helped this along? If you had not
28 > stepped up and did what you have done, then this fork may have never
29 > happened. You could have at least let others know there are people
30 > looking for something else. If so, thanks for that. :-D
31
32 I think Walter's work (and his dogged perseverance despite the
33 negative reactions I'd seen) played a pivotal role in having this play
34 out the way it did.
35
36 If he hadn't, I'm sure the systemd+udev thing would have gotten worked
37 out anyway, I'm not sure the solution would have come from within
38 Gentoo, and would not have come in the form of a fork, had Walter's
39 work not been so obvious a focal point.
40
41 Thanks, Walter.
42
43 *tips hat*