From: Olaf Krause <gentoo_ac@××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where should i ask Gentoo/Xen/hardware questions?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:41:29
1 > We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo
2 > Xen-kernels as Dom0 and DomU.
3 > Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
4 > * HP Proliant DL380 G4
5 > * HP Proliant DL380 G6
6 >
7 > Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and
8 > starts operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The
9 > kernel seems not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).
10 >
11 > I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as
12 > described here:
13 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5
16 > Did you remember to build the filesystem drivers into the kernel (ie not
17 > as a module) and follow the directions on building the hardware drivers
18 > into the kernel as well?
19
20 Yes. It is build into the kernel - not as modules.
24 > Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
25 > install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.
28 > If /proc/config.gz exists when you boot from that image you could
29 > compare that to the .config file that you're using to see what the
30 > differences are.
33 I tried it. I spend much time on it. I also tried to use the config of
34 the allround boot disks (in /proc/config.gz of the running livecd
35 system). I tried to figure out differences and also tried to copy it to
36 the Xen-Kernel and then started 'make menuconfig' for the Xen kernel to
37 fix dependencies cleared in 'make menuconfig'. It leads to kernels that
38 * cannot be build due to compile errors,
39 * or kernels that run perfectly on G3 (generation 3 HP hardware) but not
40 on G4 or G6.
41
42 Maybe this is an driver version issue for the 'Compaq SMART2 support'
43 and the 'Compaq Smart Array 5xxx support'.
44 But fixing a kernel, delivered by portage, is completly new to me. So i
45 tried to ship around this...
46
47 Would you suggest to try this way? Should I try to fix the Xen-Kernel
48 from Gentoo with some HP driver source code? Or could it be a completly
49 other issue?