From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tweak nice
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:29:57
1 On 24 Feb 2008, at 11:01, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I noticed a very annoying behavior. I've got a headless server (Athlon
4 > 64 X2) which primarily acts as a personal video recorder using
5 > mencoder
6 > and at-daemon. ...
7 >
8 > ... My problem is: Neither of them can handle
9 > recording/playing video while there is any background activity. That
10 > means I have to stop the dnet-daemon and suspend any emerges on my
11 > laptop. If I don't, both mencoder and mplayer loose sync of audio and
12 > video and drops frames.
13 > ...
14
15 Hi there,
16
17 What capture card are you using to record TV?
20 I would expect most people these days to be receiving some kind of
21 digital signal - DVB-T using an aerial, DVB-S using a dish or DVB-C
22 via cable. Here in the UK, for example, it would be most common to
23 receive DVB-T "Freeview".
24
25 Receiving a digital signal requires no encoding, practically no
26 processor resources, as the DVB signal is just mpeg, and the card is
27 simply dumping the stream to hard-disk.
28
29 Are you playing back the video across the network?
30 What processor / RAM configurations do your PCs have?
31 What hard-drives?
32 What size are the videos (pixels) and what format (encoding, bitrate)
33 are they stored in on your hard-drive?
34
35 I think you have to demonstrate that the problem is processor-bound.
36 My immediate thought upon reports of stuttering is to question disk
37 or network throughput.
38
39 Stroller.
40 --